Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Some Changes Happening in the Family Court

Since the news from the Family Court in Korea is a public knowledge, I feel now I can share this news even though I knew of the change two months ago. 


As of February 23, 2015, the Family Court has changed the reduction in the number of judges presiding the adoption cases from four to two.  However, the catch is that the two judges will now focus on the adoption cases while paying less focus on the other civil matters related to family issues.


Prior to this, all four judges were assigned with cases dealing with not only adoptions, but other civil and family matters not related to adoption.  With the two judges, they will focus more on adoption cases while providing much experience and expertise related to adoption.


Now the big question is whether the two judges specializing in adoption cases will now be able to process the cases faster (as they should be more focused on adoption), or slower with the reduction of the number of judges to half.


My guess is that the processing time will neither pick up the speed nor slow down.  There is a big uncertainty as one of the two judges is known to be very thorough with his work and takes longer to process, but I am hoping that he will provide quicker service as he is now more focused on the adoption matters.



10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! Any idea when we should start seeing dates from the 1/27 submission?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is crazy, get the job done and get these children home. The 2/3 rule makes no sense what so ever. They have allowed these children to be matched internationally so why should these children have to wait months and months because of a 2/3 rule. Makes me ill every time I hear more and more reasons why it takes so long. I would be fired from my job if worked this way. These children have to suffer because of Korea's cultural beliefs. It's not their fault that not many children are being adopted domestically, so why are they punished because of it. I really hope things get worked out and these children get what they deserve....a home , a family to call their own! Hate to ask when the agencies are going to be allowed to start submitting for EPs for 2015...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Steven for keeping us informed. I'm always disappointed that I never hear important information like this from my US agency. I am wondering if you can estimate when court dates will be granted to court papers submitted on Feb 6th 2015. At the beginning do o you think that the transition from four to two judges will cause a delay? Thanks again for all you do for the children and their families!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, any update on your court date? Our submission date is same as yours.



    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly no court date yet...I have been reading a blog of a family who waited 6 months to get a court date. They just got their final approval recently. I'm so worried this is going to be the same with our family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any news when we could hear about EP approvals? Waiting since more than 13 weeks (early Dec 14) ?? :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wanted to let you all know I got my court date today for 5/15/15! Looks like things are still moving😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica,

      We just finished our court hearing today. We are told that the waiting time for visa appt is around 2 month for the female judge. Is that what you experienced?

      Delete
    2. Hi Jessica,

      We just finished our court hearing today. We are told that the waiting time for visa appt is around 2 month for the female judge. Is that what you experienced?

      Delete
  8. Has anyone heard when the new judge might start taking cases? I know many families are very anxious to hear some news.

    ReplyDelete